My family loves these lettuce wraps and thinks they taste a lot like the ones you can get at PF Changs.
3 T oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup water chestnuts (8 oz can)
2/3 cup mushrooms (~ 3 oz sliced)
3 T chopped onions
1 tsp minced garlic
Iceberg lettuce leaves
STIR FRY SAUCE:
2 T soy sauce
2 T brown sugar
½ tsp rice wine vinegar
¼ cup sugar
½ cup water
2 T soy sauce
2 T rice wine vinegar
2 T ketchup
1 T lemon juice
1/8 tsp sesame oil
Add to dipping sauce as desired:
1 T hot mustard (Chinese style hot mustard)
2 tsp water
1 – 2 tsp garlic and red chile sauce
1. Make dipping sauce by dissolving sugar in water. Add remaining ingredients and store in frig until ready to use.
2. Bring oil to high heat in a wok or frying pan. Sauté chicken breasts 4 – 5 minutes per side or until done. Remove from pan and cool. Keep oil hot in pan.
3. As chicken cools, mince water chestnuts and mushrooms to about the size of small peas.
4. Prepare stir fry sauce by mixing all ingredients in small bowl.
5. When chicken is cool, mince it the same size as mushrooms and water chestnuts.
6. With pan still on high heat, add 1 more T oil.
7. Add chicken, garlic, onions, water chestnuts, and mushrooms to pan.
8. Add stir fry sauce to pan and sauté mixture for a couple minutes.
9. When ready to eat, put some filling in a “lettuce cup” – add desired amount of hot mustard and garlic/red chile sauce to dipping sauce, then dip lettuce wrap in dipping sauce.
Note: We usually double the recipe for the dipping sauce and the stir-fry sauce.